Is MOLD Making You Sick?


Mold is a four letter word…and not in a good way.

Mold is essentially a fungus that grows in damp places. One damp place that mold favors for growth is the human body. Unfortunately, mold produces toxic waste that your body needs to eliminate.  Molds also produce mycotoxins to protect themselves from other molds so that it can thrive!  

It’s not just our bodies that provide an unwilling host.  Other sources of mold toxicity come from water-damaged buildings or vehicles.  OSHA estimates that over 25% of all buildings in the US have had water damage. One study found that 60% of those water damaged buildings contain mold. Once mold takes hold, toxicity becomes a growing problem that contributes to even more health problems when allowed to go untreated. In fact, experts in the field see mold toxins as a precursor to becoming susceptible to an increase in food and chemical sensitivities, Lyme disease, chronic fatigue, and chronic environmental illness. 

What is Mold Toxicity?

Mold toxins are minute molecules that pose threats on several levels. There is the spore, spore fragments and the toxin. Spores normally are large enough to activate the bodies defensive respiratory and immune responses. Spore fragments and mycotoxins in contrast are often small enough to evade detection by the immune system.

Spore fragments may contribute further to the toxic load because they can be absorbed by the lung tissue and secrete more mycotoxins to protect themselves from other infectious invaders. 

Mycotoxins can dodge the typical ways our bodies clear themselves of poisonous substances. Undetected, mycotoxins enter the bloodstream via the lung tissues. What was once only a respiratory irritation that the body needs to manage now becomes a more systemic toxic burden. 

E5U4TnTQ

How do Mold Toxins Get Into Your Body?

Mycotoxins can enter our bodies through inhalation or can be absorbed by direct touch through our skin. Inhaled spores are the primary source of mold toxicity for most people who suffer from mold toxicity.  

Some mycotoxins can also be ingested by contaminated food. Certain foods and categories of foods are susceptible to mold –particularity foods that are aged, fermented or processed. Examples of foods that may contain small amounts of mycotoxins include peanuts, dried fruits, aged cheeses, mushrooms, grains, beer, wine and wine vinegar, processed meats and overripe fruits and vegetables. 

How do You Know if You Have Mycotoxins Inside Your Body?

Specific, very definitive symptoms for mold toxicity are electric shock sensations, ice pick pain, or pulsing /vibrating feelings going up and down the spine or in different parts of the spine. If you are experiencing these symptoms, the chance you  have mold sickness is likely. 

Other more general symptoms include headaches, muscle aches, sinus congestion, gastrointestinal, neurological and psychological symptoms. For more symptoms of mold toxicity, see the chart, “Symptoms of Mold Toxicity”. 

Naturally your senses – sight, smell, and even taste -- such as in moldy produce or grains -- are an easy way to identify your exposure and symptomatic reactions to mold. 

Screen Shot 2020-02-03 at 4.11.26 PM

How do I Know if I am Being Exposed to Mycotoxins in my Home, Workplace, or Motor Vehicle?

Some mycotoxins are detectable because they give off that ‘musty’ or mildew smell as already mentioned. Some mold you can see visually as dark, or pink colored and irregularly shaped growths. But not all toxic molds can be detected by scent and sight alone. 

In indoor settings, the places where mold likes to grow is hidden in basements, attics, behind walls, ductwork, underneath flooring, and plumbing fixtures. In vehicles, mold can be hidden in AC ductwork, in the fabric of seats and carpets after getting wet, and from spilled food and beverages.

What is the Treatment for Mold Toxicity?

Naturally treatment is different for environmental mold toxicity then is it is for treating mold in the body. 

Conventional treatment for indoor sources of mold is eradication when possible. This can be an expensive and difficult option. If eradication is not possible, avoidance is the next best option. Avoidance may require a more extreme approach such as moving away from the offending source(s) i.e. your home, workplace or vehicle.

Avoidance has limited effectiveness if the mold toxicity is inside the body because the host is now a toxicity carrier. This happens when the respiratory system and sinuses become overwhelmed and begin to “colonize” with mold. So the issue goes with you no matter what environment you find yourself in. This places a chronic burden on your immune system and overall health. Fungal infections weaken the body and make it susceptible to hosting chronic viral infections, and promotes fatigue, and even cancer in some cases. At this point, treatment often involves raising the body’s immune response, and enhancing the ability to secrete toxins.

Don’t Let Mold Take Hold - When to Seek Professional Help

If you are experiencing any of the symptoms of mold toxicity or suspect you are hypersensitive, the good news is that we at the Allergy and Digestive Relief Center can help you.

First, we offer an affordable and easy in- office test to identify over 60 mycotoxin sensitivities. We can also order specific laboratory testing for the most common harmful mycotoxins. Then we do work to desensitize your immune system to molds, and mycotoxins.

Our treatment also includes providing specific binding agents- known compounds to attach to the mycotoxins to ease expulsion. We also enhanced liver and kidney detoxification functions to help pave the way for expelling the toxins as they are released.

If you have tried to find your own solutions and your approach has not worked, please give us a call or visit our website www.DigestionReliefCenter.com to find out how you can get relief from the symptoms of mold sickness. Dr. Patrick can be reached at his office at 530-899-8741 to schedule an office consultation.


Since 1999, Dr. Patrick Giammarise, DC, IHS, has helped North State residents by using a whole-body systems approach to health. He specializes in providing natural relief for food and environmental sensitivities, intolerances and digestive problems. For more information contact Dr. Patrick at 530-899-8741 or visit www.DigestionReliefCenter.com


© 2020. Dr. Patrick Giammarise, DC, IHS. All Rights Reserved.